Saturday 1 April 2017

Lessons Learned




I often have individuals ask me for advice about moving from a teaching position into an administrator role. Nearing the end of my second year as a secondary vice-principal (or assistant principal to my American colleagues) I'm hardly an authority.

If anything, a few years in, I'm even more painfully aware of what I don't know.
But, here's a little of what I have learned...

1. I have had to make sacrifices. Finding a balance between my professional and personal responsibilities is an ongoing challenge. I'm not sure if I'll ever figure that out.

2. I need to admit when I don't know something. And when I've made a mistake. People are incredibly forgiving and kind.

3. Relationships are the most important part of my job. They form the foundation for everything else. It takes time. But the rewards are enormous.

4. Talking is as important as listening. Listening is important. But talking is equally important. By taking the risk of being vulnerable and sharing my own story, I give others permission to do the same.

5. Mentors are essential. They encourage me. And inspire me. And tell me when I've done something stupid. All are needed.

6. The little things matter. Saying good morning , saying thank-you, giving a hug, holding a door open. The little things make a big difference.

7. I still have so much to learn. That's overwhelming sometimes. I feel the weight of the enormous responsibility of my role.

8. I love my job. It's the hardest thing I've ever done. And the most amazing. I am grateful every single day.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing Our Stories

       It is "Back to School" Eve. After over 30 years in education, the feelings of excitement and apprehension are pretty famili...