Sunday 11 September 2016

Notice


It sounds simplistic, but my goal for the first week of school was simply to notice...

I noticed that the student who could barely make eye contact with me last year, walked confidently through the front doors of the school on the second day, and said "Good morning Ms. Garr!"

I noticed the grade 8 who was immediately swept up by a welcoming group of friends as they arrived.

I noticed the look of trepidation on another grade 8s face as they ate lunch by themselves, doing their best not to be seen.

I noticed who was sitting together at the opening assembly. And who wasn't.

I noticed the parent sitting anxiously outside the front office, not quite able to bring themselves to leave.

I noticed the teacher who was feeling overwhelmed by "one more thing".

I noticed that our secretaries treat the adults and the students in our building with the same respect and kindness.

I noticed that our custodian is never too busy to help.

I noticed how at the end of the day, despite feeling exhausted and slightly overwhelmed, I am looking already forward to the next day...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing Our Stories

       It is "Back to School" Eve. After over 30 years in education, the feelings of excitement and apprehension are pretty famili...