Wednesday 11 May 2016

It's Happening

At the risk of confirming Dean Shareski's assertion that I'm "old", I have nonetheless been in the field of education for a few years now. In addition to my own formative (and somewhat challenging) experiences as a student, I was an educational assistant for four years, a classroom teacher for seventeen, and am currently making my way through my first full year as an administrator. Similar to many experienced educators, in that time I've experienced countless new initiatives, frameworks and platforms. And I've also heard the voices of those who suggest that despite the "new", not much has actually changed...

Perhaps I'm naive, or just extremely fortunate to be surrounded by forward thinking, innovative, and transformative individuals (which I am), but here's my take on change-

It's happening. 

Don't get me wrong, there's definitely room for continued growth and certainly there's no cause to slow our momentum, but I would suggest that education is undeniably evolving, gradually responding to the needs of our students and of our global community.

I created the visual below simply as a method to capture some of the transformations that have challenged, informed and inspired my ongoing professional growth.

Ok, here's my disclaimer and my invitation...

First, the disclaimer- this is by no means intended to be a definitive "list" of paradigm shifts or instructional innovations. Nor is it meant to be a dichotomy, a "good vs. evil" of the evolution of education. As we all know, it's not as simple as that. It's just a way for me to make sense of some of the transformations that I've witnessed, and an opportunity to acknowledge (and thank) some of those "forward thinking" folks I mentioned above. This visual reflects my perspective, my lens. Likely by the time I hit "publish" I will have additions and revisions to make. But that's the beauty of learning. It's fluid.

Now, the invitation- just as I enjoy WestVan Superintendent, Chris Kennedy's "Top 3 Lists", I appreciate the opportunity to gain insight into what contributes to other's thinking and growth, into what inspires, irks and motivates those around me. Again, I'm fortunate to be connected to many individuals who willingly and generously share their learning with me, and I welcome the opportunity to connect with even more.

So while this type of overview is typically a "new year's" or a "year end" kind of thing, I find myself with a little time to ponder and reflect. A silver lining and a gift...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharing Our Stories

       It is "Back to School" Eve. After over 30 years in education, the feelings of excitement and apprehension are pretty famili...